Schönbusch Palace – Aschaffenburg

Picture: Schönbusch Palace

Schönbusch Park is one of the earliest landscape gardens in Germany. From 1775 the Archbishop of Mainz, Friedrich Carl von Erthal, had his deer park redesigned in the English landscape style. The first built structure in the garden, designed by architect Emanuel Joseph von Herigoyen, was the Electoral Pavilion. It was built between 1778 and 1782 as a little neo-classical summer residence with exquisite Louis Seize furnishings and is known today as "Schönbusch Palace".

Schönbusch Park was completed in 1790 by garden architect Friedrich Ludwig Sckell. Architectural features such as an observation tower, the Red Bridge, the Temple of Friendship and the Philosopher's House, a tiny village and shepherds' cottages are arranged in charming settings with artificial lakes and "hills".

In the park visitor centre (former kitchen building) the exhibition "Everything appears natural, so well concealed is the design" informs about the history and development of the park. 

Schönbusch Park Visitor Centre
Schönbusch Park

| top |


Object information:

Address

Kleine Schönbuschallee 1
63741 Aschaffenburg
Telephone 06021 625478

Opening hours

Schönbusch Palace
April-3 October: 9 am-6 pm
closed Mondays
closed 4 October-March

Park Visitor Centre
April-3 October: Saturdays, sundays and holidays:
11 am-6 pm

General information on opening times and admission charges

Guided tours

Palace
Guided tours every hour on the hour (in German; approximately 20 minutes)
Last guided tour:
April-September: 5 pm

Park
For groups it is possible to book guided tours in English and French on the garden exhibition and the park (telephone booking required):
Tourist-Information Aschaffenburg
telephone 06021 395-801
fax 06021 395-802

Further information

Further information

Service (leaflets, photo/film, links …)

Information for visitors with reduced mobility:

Rooms in the palace only accessible via staircase; visitor centre at ground level

Franchised restaurants and hotels:

Restaurant "Kulinarischer Schönbusch"
telephone 06021 448560
www.schoenbusch-ab.de

Nearest railway station:

Aschaffenburg
www.bahn.com

Public transport with nearest stop:

Bus to "Park Schönbusch"

Parking space:

Car park at the park entrance

Responsible administrative office

Schloss- und Gartenverwaltung Aschaffenburg
Schlossplatz 4
63739 Aschaffenburg
Telefon 06021 38657-0
Fax 06021 38657-16
sgvaschaffenburg@ bsv.bayern.de

| top |